Bolon de verde are green plantain dumplings, most often stuffed with cheese and/or chicharrones (pork). This version uses vegan cheese, and makes a great, satisfying breakfast. It would also probably be good with some sliced vegan sausage.
The vegan cheese that I like the most for these are Field Roast Chao slices, but I think any vegan cheese that melts and you like would work well here. I used the plain flavor of Chao. Each dumpling takes half a slice. I usually turn the slices into shreds by cutting them up with my knife.
- 4 dumplings
- 20 minutes
- 15 minutes
Bolon de Verde
- 4-5 medium green plantains
- 2-3 slices vegan cheese
- or 1/2 cup of vegan cheese shreds
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt, pepper, cumin
Bolon de Verde
Preheat your air fryer to 400F. I use the Dash Compact Air Fryer.
- Peel and slice the plaintains. You can also slice, and then peel individually, whatever works best for you.
- In a skillet over medium high heat, add the oil and cook until the plantains turn a nice yellow color and slightly browned, 5-7 minutes
- Add 1/2 cup of water to the skillet, and cover to steam the plantains. Using this approach means we can use less oil. Add more water as needed, continue cooking until plantains are soft and mashable, about 10 minutes.
- Put the plantain slices in a bowl, and mash with a potato masher until a dough is formed. Add a little bit of water if mixture is too dry.
- Add cumin, pepper, and salt to taste. The dough should taste salty.
- Take a handful of dough, and mold into a ball, about the size of a baseball. Press two fingers into the ball to make an indentation, and fill with cheese, about 2 tbsp, and then reform the ball so cheese is locked inside.
- Fry in your air fryer, 10-15 minutes, until the bolon are slightly brown and heated through.
More delicious recipes
This is one of the many fantastic recipes available on this blog